Music Banter - View Single Post - Should musicians be on more than 30k a year
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #61 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
you're using the exception of exceptions as your examples. the average musicians don't make millions.

those who do, deserve it.
First of all, I just want to clear up that I DO agree with you on this, we, for the most part are on the same page, being that we don't agree with a cap or universal salary for all musicians. But I don't agree with you on WHY they deserve what they earn (or justly receive it, more like).

These average musicians that you are bringing up have nothing to do with the topic because they would not be affected (maybe their incintive to do better might) but they for the most part would not be affected by a cap at 30k because the average musicians most likely aren't making that- or much more- anyway.
So thats not who I'm targeting then of course, I am targeting the exceptions of exceptions, which frankly is what most musicians, if not all, ultimately try to be in the music industry. So yes, when I speak of working hard and earning money, I am talking about the big shots who are making millions here, because thats who the topic is affecting most severely here, right?

Quote:
there's a whole lot more going on than just performing their tunes. consider the full breadth of their productions. the studio professionals, the stage crew, the backing band, the support staff, the executives that coordinate the scale of the production and promote the artist. everyone needs to get paid for their work, and while all the trendy commies like sharing common rewards most don't like sharing common responsibilities so in the real world the people at the top make more than the people at the bottom because they've chosen to risk more from their personal lives.
Yes agree with you on that.

Quote:
consider the strain on a family when one of the founding members has to take off for weeks or months at a time for work. consider the fact that the musician has absolutely NO time off EVER. you go to the store for milk, you get recognized, you pretty much HAVE to grin and pretend like you give a crap.

when you're on that level there's no punching out at 5 in the afternoon and going back to being a regular joe. unless you happen to be Daft Punk or Buckethead.
Okay while I understand this, I really don't feel one ounce of sympathy for them there though. Thats just part of it. Get over it.
They don't make lots of money because it is hard on them and whatever else, its simply because of demand for them. Yes, they do have to put in lots of work but my point is that the big shots million dollars worth of salary doesn't totally reflect grisly hard work, but rather supply and demand for them. Thats whats making them the real money, not because they smile at people who recognized them in a grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i'm not making excuses for anything.

your comment about the miners and Willie Nelson made it seem that the only reason Willie makes the big bucks is because of his name and not his tireless work ethic.
Although, yes, working hard was the basis for Willie Nelsons success, it not the main principle on what has made him the major money over the years, or any filthy rich musician for that matter. Its because he has his unique talent exclusive to him, therefore a low supply of it, that alot of people like, therefore in high demand. Thats where his money came from. And in my mind theres nothing wrong with that, thats just how capitalism works.

Quote:
unless i'm really sucking at interpreting what you mean by this line in particular.

i really hope you live in an incredibly talented area because if more people adopt that attitude there won't be many tours for much longer.

What I was saying by this is that if you compare the raw hardwork that a big time musician does and see the money they make (millions), and compare that to the raw hard work a coal miner does with the money they make (not millions) you see that hard work really isn't what determines why some people are millionares and some aren't. Is it neccessarily fair? no. Hell, Marx will tell you that with the Labor Theory of Value. But thats just how it works, and I'm okay with that.

and by meh I meant meh, hard work is not the reason they justly receive the big bucks. All that I said up there is^

Do you understand me now?

Last edited by Flower Child; 03-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote