Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #97 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark shadow View Post
sorry to break the topic so much, but that almost sounds ripped from the pages of fight club. not that fight club was anything overly original to start with, and many other philosophical ideas have said similar concepts, its just the most famous iteration of it i know as a male who read it in the teens. as for the concept of breaking down social norms, it does seem very strange to see, but more because a love that strong existed that he would make permanent, and drastic, changes to his body in a time when marriages carry very little weight
Yea - I wasn't trying to be clever, just making a point about the subjectivity of social norms. As you pointed out, this is not a new notion or a new way of saying it, rather it's a "famous iteration" (I like that phrase) of the idea. Still, it's an idea that hardly anybody takes seriously. That's why we get cathartic joy from literature like Fight Club and the "freakishness" of Genesis's boob implants. I was just saying that living outside of social norms is not necessarily an out of reach ideal that we only read about in fiction or philosophy books. Some people actually live that way.

I'm not sure I understand your point but if you're saying that Genesis's plastic surgery is a more drastic and possibly more meaningful expression of love than marriage is, then I agree with you.