Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #500 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Have you ever been to an Easter sermon? They talk about drinking Jesus's blood and eating his body. Then they go on to describe in detail what happened to him leading up to the cross and while he was on it. The whole time you are either supposed to be sad because you feel his pain (which doesn't make sense because God can't die anyway amirite?) or you are supposed to look past it an see that his pain and suffering for the whole world was a good thing. And afterward, it is your turn to take up the cross.

It is a religion of human sacrifice. It may seem like I am attacking things as if I am taking what they said as literal, but really think about what is going on. What do you do with virtue? You sacrifice it for the less virtuous.
Have you? It sounds like you're completely mistaken about what Easter actually is.

Good Friday is the memorial of Christ's crucifixion, Easter is the celebration of his resurrection. There is nothing sad, or mournful, or "sadomasochistic" (which is pretty laughable in the first place) about Easter, that's why there's such a huge rebirth and reincarnation theme with it. It has nothing to do with drinking Christ's blood (you're referring to transubstantiation, correct?), at least not in the Protestant sense. And in the twenty Easter sermons I have heard not one of them has dipped toes in calling the crucifix a figure of self-sacrifice.

I will admit it's a bit patronizing how the consumer industry has taken advantage of it, but Easter comes NOWHERE near how pathetically materialistic Christmas has become. By most standards Easter is still a fairly laudable religious holiday.