Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of music buying services do you use on the net
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Why should you buy vinyl? Is there some mandatory hipster law that says you must? I mean yeah the sound quality is awesome IF you have a good needle and the record is in good shape and you have a decent receiver and speakers. That seems like an awful lot of ifs to me for better sound quality, which largely attributed to why I stopped collecting and listening to vinyl. Anyways there's a site I use called amiestreet.com which has some really cool stuff on it, but it doesn't have everything. It's far cheaper than iTunes (for the most part) and usually the sound quality is around 320 kb/s.
Vinyl is one of the few analog media left. I suppose that's why it attracts so much attention but in reality most LP players don't have the fidelity to take advantage of it, especially players produced after 1990 or so.

It definitely sounds better if you have the right playback equipment, but maintaining vinyl can be such a pain in the ass. An outboard digital-to-analog (DTA) converter is far more effective in reconstructing an analog signal, without any loss of signal due to analog signal processing.