Music Banter - View Single Post - What is country music?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
What are the defining characteristics of country?
Just like anything else Country music draws from all sorts of influences then becomes codified. One of the defining aspects of American Country Music is that it's influenced by the traditional (folk) music of the Scotch-Irish people from the Appalachian Mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
The border origin of the Scotch-Irish is supported by study of the traditional music and folklore of the Appalachian Mountains, settled primarily by the Scotch-Irish in the 18th century. Musicologist Cecil Sharp collected hundreds of folk songs in the region, and observed that the musical tradition of the people "seems to point to the North of England, or to the Lowlands, rather than the Highlands, of Scotland, as the country from which they originally migrated. For the Appalachian tunes...have far more affinity with the normal English folk-tune than with that of the Gaelic-speaking Highlander."
Other influences are Cowboy songs, Gospel, Jazz (Western Swing had strong influences from Jazz and Rockabilly from the early era of Rock and Roll is also another.) If you follow Country through its history you can see how it follow what was popular at the time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
An excuse to reclaim Folk music as an American only phenomenom.
I don't know about that, for one modern country is closer to Rock then "Folk" in the original meaning of the word.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 03-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote