Music Banter - View Single Post - Mgmt
Thread: Mgmt
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #125 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I'm someone who doesn't like psychedelic rock and thinks prog rock is the devil (tracks above 7 minutes usually really piss me off) yet this album is very psychedelic and although it's not prog rock, it has a 12 minute track.. and I actually like it.

I really respect them for doing what they've done.
I haven't found much prog rock that I like, yet, myself...and I agree MGMT's new album sounds much more psychedelic than their first. Which is their 12 minute track that you like? I listened to all their songs from the Congratulations album, but can't remember now which was so long!

I also respect MGMT for doing what they've done because, based on an interview I watched of them, they really are just making music *they* like regardless how others feel about it. I thought it was funny when Andrew said his favorite song on their first album was the one everyone hated.

I'm listening to "Siberian Breaks" again, appreciating the tempo changes and rambling sound...it sounds like 4 or 5 songs spliced together (thus "Breaks"). The song seems very conversational and a little sad, somehow. I still have no idea what they're talking about, though! Say, this song could very well be 12 minutes long. Is *this* the song you liked?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote