Music Banter - View Single Post - The Vinyl Collector's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
No disrespect but in 2010 I dont think that argument still applies. Digital technology is quickly surpasses all forms of analog. When comparing the best of vinyl to the best digital copies (ogg vorbis flac, even nice mp3's) there is really no contest when played through the same set of speakers. The panning, and enveloping has gotten far more sophisticated on digital technology.

A great examlpe would be the old TUBE vs SOLID STATE amp debate. Sure 30, maybe even 5 years ago tubes were the only way to go when looking for a great natural sound; but today many experienced players can hardly tell the difference in blind sound tests.

In another 5 years I imagine that Solid State/Digital Representations of sound will continue to improve while anolog equipment goes farther behind.

Sorry about any grammatical error, I just got back from work and Im tired as hell.
I completely agree with you, I don't even think that it comes to a debate over bitrates/lossy audio formats, any decent rip above 128 kbps and I can't even distinguish the difference.

But suggesting that vinyl is poorer fidelity than a digital media like CD is baffling. Well, maybe it's true if you don't know how to take care of it. But that applies to CDs as well.