Music Banter - View Single Post - Graves or Danzig (based on Misfits material)
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpo View Post
We'll probably have to chalk this up to semantics and personal definitions of genres, but I'll try and explain it anyway.

The Goth part should be self explanatory. They sang about death, and had a liberal use of skulls, etc.

I hear Metal all over Earth A.D. Primarily, Hellhound, Demonomania, and Devilock. To my ears, those are Metal tracks. Granted, I subscribe to the group who thinks Black Flag stopped being a punk band when idiot Rollins joined, so I'm already in the minority.
For me the goth part is the part that actually isn't self-explanatory. I guess I can sort of hear a slight metallic edge to the music (though not really what was considered metal in 1983) so I can understand that comparison a little. But singing about death and a liberal use of skulls are staples of metal not goth, especially not goth as it was in 1983. I have a hard time seeing any overlap whatsoever between the Misfits image and sound and that of contemporaneous goth bands like Siouxsie & the Banshees, Bauhaus or the Cure.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote