Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Daktari
Music Addict

Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia

I've been thinking again, that's twice already and it's still a.m.

Ok, following the logic of the above post, virtually anything could be classed as a musical instrument. It all depends on a musician to manipulate the computer, guitar, oil drum, watering can, hose pipe, telephone, saucepan, electric food mixer....on and on...

It takes a musician to turn any of these objects into a musical instrument. The difference being as I mentioned earlier, a saxophone is still a musical instrument and a guitar is still a guitar even without a musician present. We know that a guitar is really just wood and steel strings and a saxophone is just some curved pipe with keys and a reed but they are still musical instruments.

An oil drum is a potential musical instrument but first and foremost, it is a drum for holding oil. Same with a saucepan and a hose pipe.They are all 'potential musical instruments' .They become musical instruments when in the hands of a musician.... same with a computer.

Just my two thoughts for the day, gonna have to take it easy now.. Gordon.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote