Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Easter Still Relevant?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Personally for Christianity I believe it is, but it's become so over-marketed etc that it has lost it's meaning. If you don't celebrate Jesus rising from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion then why is it relevant to others?

It's always bothered me really, and I'd like to hear what others think on the matter. Feel free to give me a good reason why non-Christians/Catholics etc should celebrate it too?
I always view Easter as a celebration of Spring and the sweetness of family and childhood fun, Vanilla.

When I was growing up, Easter had the same happy feeling of fun and friendship as did May Day, which in Iowa as a child we celebrated (and some people still do!) by making little paper baskets filled with a few candies or treats to leave on friends' doorsteps...just to make life a little happier for them. Both holidays involved going outside and appreciating nature and young little animals (chicks, baby rabbits) and plants (new violets and other early flowers).

On Easter morning, my mom always surprised us (so it wasn't really a surprise) with Easter baskets at breakfast, with little plastic eggs with a candy inside, and that was fun. Later, we had plastic Easter egg hunts outside...those were an exciting family and sometimes community event!

The night before, we blew and dyed eggs...which now as a vegan I wouldn't do, aware as I am that people slaughter the millions of male siblings of egg-laying hens, so any egg in your hand is really a symbol of DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, Easter for me is simply a celebration of Spring, whereas for Christians I know it is THE most important holiday, because they hope so much that their belief in this religion means they will have an afterlife.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 03-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote