Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else notice how completely retarded and biased Metacritic is?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I can't stand critics.

I might check out albums based on how much praise and attention they're getting overall, but I don't look towards reviews for recommendations. It's all biased bullcrap and in absolutely no way determines weither you'll like it or not, everyone likes to do reviews for fun, but I don't think music criticism should even be taken seriously as a profession.

And it's a lame excuse for guys like Robert Christgau, Piero Scaruffi and Rob Sheffield to make a lot of money, basically for just having horrible taste in music.
I agree with the general assessment if not the conclusion here.

Reviews are definitely all biased in one way or another, but they can be helpful if you either find a critic/publication that you generally seem to agree with or get a feel for what a particular critic/publication looks for and how you feel about that sort of thing. It works if you only look at it as a rough guide, and in that, it's legitimate as a(n admittedly subjective/editorial) form of journalism as long as it's well written.

That metacritic fudges the math is silly and lame, but honestly, it's hard to take a number as meaning anything as far as reviews go anyway.