Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Popular Ska Song?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
SBWNik
Music Addict

Whether it was the full original line up or not, the band was still The Specials - the logical extension of that argument is that The Specials didn't tour last year, just six blokes who were once in the band and a keyboard player. Yes, quite. Much the same argument that says that The Rolling Stones no longer exist etc. Fair point on the rename of the band for the third album, except The Special AKA name featured on both their first single and their first number one. I appreciate the distinction you're trying to make, but I feel its non existant, any more than it is with either The Selecter or Bad Manners - or for that matter third wave band The Riffs, none of which keep many members of their original line up but have kept the name?
I wouldn't argue about the social ethos of The Specials being carried forward while the rhythm was neglected by a lot of bands, but its a hugely innaccurate generalisation to suggest that the beat was left behind by most... The ones that lost the rhythm were punk bands, not ska or even skapunk ones by definition. True enough that many got dragged into the ska/skapunk scenes (generally by lazy journos with no understanding of what ska actually is) but they don't belong there. Sticking a brass section on a Sex Pistols track wouldn't make it any more of a ska tune than it was previously, would it?

The Big D track is an example of ska played by them. I'm well aware that a lot of their material falls on the 'wrong' side of the ska/punk divide, but I'm offering that up as a favourite tune, not band. Having said that, I see them as more of a ska band than Capdown, but I can't argue with the rest of your list, some talent in there, but Capdown? Erm... I think we can beg to differ on that one!
Looking at your list, I'm assuming that (Capdown and MMB apart) your interest is more towards the roots sound? Some good calls there, would add in The Splitters and Westbound Train among the better known bands, and maybe Rebelation too?

Shall we agree to disagree on this though? The scene is complicated enough with its subdivisions without needless pickyness - if its a good ska tune then its a good ska tune, and that to me is all that needs to be considered.
SBWNik is offline   Reply With Quote