Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the Guitar Dead/Dying?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #62 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rotter View Post
Right, I've seen a midi bass, but is it common yet to see an electric guitar or bass that has the interface ability of synth. What I would like ,is to play my guitar but make it sound like a piano or organ or synth sound.
Roland.

Quote:
Making electronic music is very tedious and frusturating for me, because i can do wonders on my guitar, but i can't play the piano well so I have to cut and paste chords on cubase. No fun, and I lose the creativity.
Well the scheme of how the notes are laid out on guitar and piano are very different, so I don't think one can perfectly imitate the other. The chord voicings would always be different. As far as playing live, both Fender and Gibson make guitars that has a midi, and you can also add a midi to your guitar. Once thee you can interfave with any synth brain you want to get whatever sound you want. But once you get into home recording that is beyond me.

Quote:
Completely agree, good analyses
thanks

Quote:
I think the intial argument was the guitar is in decline relative to popular top 40 music. As in you don't see rock bands like The Rolling Stones, The Cars, Fleetwood Mac ect owning the pop charts like they once did.

I don't think anyone would argue that the guitar is decline to the point of extinction, but rather it is ready to take second place to samplers, keyboards and turntables like how brass instruments faded from porminence in popular music when the electric guitar became popular.

I have to say that you really con't use the Top 40 as a litmus test for the popularity of the guitar. When you look back at the history of Pop music, starting from Jump Blues and pop muisc with orchestra, Les Paul and Mary Ford stood alone on the charts for guitar music. When Rock and Roll came around guitar music was in the Top 40 with Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry but they didn't stay forever on the charts, and poeple back then were asking the same thing "Is the Guitar dead/dying?" until The Beatles came. And when The Beatles broke up and the best of Gutiar Rock was uinderground and not on the charts people were asking the same question is "Is the Guitar dead/dying?" The same question was ask during Disco and 80's Synth Pop before and after Grunge. It a perenial question people have to ask.

How I see it is that Top 40 is irrelevant for those who like guitar music anyway whatever the genre. So the real question "Is Pop 40 dead if it ignores what most people like?"

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote