Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the Guitar Dead/Dying?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #64 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rotter View Post
But it is called R & B, and it consistently out performs rock on the top 40 charts
The thing is that a lot of mainstream genres have blended together. There's stuff like Beyonce and Rihanna that could be considered R&B, stuff like Taylor Swift that could be considered Country and stuff like Lady Gaga that could be considered electronica but at it's core it's all pop music.

Quote:
Of course, my post said there were a lot of New Wave rock bands as well. New Wave wasn't entirely synonomous with synth pop, but it sure dominated the 80's.
I don't see how they contributed to the death of guitarists though, most New Wave bands had guitarists and a lot of new wave songs emphasize guitar just as much as keyboards.

Quote:
But the vast majority of rap artists do not use guitars, but they do use samplers.
But if they are sampling guitar parts, is that therefore bad for the guitar? I don't see how, perhaps convenience is a big pro for hip hop and electronic musicians but you can't denial the appeal of having just about every sound imaginable at the control of your fingertips. That's not at all detrimental to music, it's just an example of how technology can be a great musical tool.

IMO, good music is good music, I don't care how you make it.

I think the point of this article is less about rap losing favor with people and more with the oversaturatation of the market.

Quote:
I disagree, I've played in a rock band and i've made techno music. I find it much easier to sample and match beats than to learn a new instrument. Most of my favourite bands are electronic, and the best ones usually have some actual keyboard talent instead of reaching into the synths arpeggio or matching beats with turntables.
Assembling sounds together no matter how you do it always requires some kind of talent, no matter what you do, you're still making a composition of your own. Being a master at the turntable doesn't require any less creativity or ear for melody than being a master at any other instrument, even when you rely on samples you still have to twist that into a brand new composition.

If you're as big of a fan of electronica as you claim then you'd know that a lot of electronic and hip hop musicians that rely on samples can alter and mix them to the point of being beyond recognition, DJ Shadow was a master at this method, takes samples from dozens of songs and blends them together to create something new. It's like being a painter and samples are like splotches of paint on your palette board.
Quote:
Cmon man! Are you actually going to sit here and tell me that Combichrist and Funkervoght sound harder than Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse???
Dunno, I don't listen to any of that.

Quote:
Incidentally one of my favorite genres is butrock goa, because you get the hard sound of the guitar with the trippy trance sound of the synth. That being said I don't care how hard the drum beat hits in hardcore techno, it does not come close to the aggressivness of Grindcore and Death Metal.
Trust me, synthesizers can indeed have a really evil sound. A lot of industrial metal proves this.

Quote:
Your misinterpreting the intent of this comment, it wasn't meant to be a political statement, I have a friends of Asian and South Asian decent, as well one from Iran. They generally have a very mild, or no interest in rock, and rock n roll isn't big in China or India and Japan aside, not much in Asia overall.
No, I'm absolutely positive that rock music is very popular in Japan. So far Japan has had a lot of rock bands gain mainstream success and enjoy popularity in other countries including America. And considering that only a few bands ever really get popular, Japan has likely has a ton of local rock bands.

Japan has it's own metal scene, it's own punk scene, it's own alternative rock scene, even it's share of progressive rock bands. Rock music is also greatly referenced in various Manga and Anime.

Quote:
If rock music is prodomintely a western culture phenomeneon, and caucasion populations are in decline, than it follows that form of cultural music based on the guitar will decline, that's all, and since you don't like Def Leppard or Van halen that's probably a good thing.
What?

I f*cking love Van Halen. Def Leppard are annoying though.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote