Music Banter - View Single Post - An album a year for each year you are alive
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #264 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Ew. Definitely not their best album by a long shot IMO. The Chili Peppers I loved were fun funky, punky music that made me want to jump around and be goofy. Blood Sugar Sex Magik largely sounded like classic rock with cheesy ballads and way too many attempts at singing by Keidis.

I don't really understand the rest of your post. What's the significance of Smash Mouth? And why is it so weird that I was a Chili Peppers fan at 14?
I'm saying the Chili Peppers were not very well-known before BSSM and you had already discovered them at the age of 14. I certainly wasn't listening to unknown bands at that age.

And even if it is not your favorite album, BSSM is clearly considered their greatest work, not even close really. Now, I love the older albums too but BSSM had plenty of the funky-punky songs from before (how do you not categorize 'Suck My Kiss' and 'Funky Monks' as such?), even if it included a stinker ballad like 'Breaking the Girl'. I personally view 'Under the Bridge' as one of the greatest hard rock ballads of all-time and don't have a problem with them progressing their sound a little bit.

The most amazing thing to me is just how prolific that recording session was. To think that 'Soul to Squeeze' could have been on that album instead of 'Breaking the Girl' is just mind numbing...
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote