Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the Guitar Dead/Dying?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #69 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Err??? Perscussive sounds are enharmonic, a guitar is a harmonic instrument. Not quite sure what you mean. But if I should be so bold to make an assumption I think you mean "Comping." It might sound like a sounds of a perscussive instrument but in fact there are chordal changes taken place.
True, but I think what he means is that string instruments CAN be used in the place of a percussion instrument. Instruments like Banjos have always been favored for this purpose.

Preston Reed and Kaki King are masters of getting percussive sounds out of a guitar, and the slap and pop technique is used by many bassists to get this kind of effect. Les Claypool being the best example.

While they might not qualifiy as truly percussive methods, I'd say they could still be considered percussive sounds. Though actually, I think the slapping of a string could indeed be considered percussive. The definition of a percussion instrument is anything that could be used to produce a percussive sound by striking it or scraping it, which can be done with a guitar or bass string.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 03-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote