Music Banter - View Single Post - Horrorcore
Thread: Horrorcore
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

I find that when it comes to lyricism (for some unknown reason) it seems to me that overall, the most lyrically talented rappers are of the horrorcore style or they at least have some horrorcore influence even if they aren't necessarily horrorcore rappers you can still hear/see the influence of horrorcore in their music (example Vinnie paz).

Some recommendations from me, these are people who I think are horrorcore but others (including the rappers themselves) may disagree. The reason for this is that there is to many sub-genres. For example, if you want to be specific about it, Esham is actually "acid rap" not horrorcore, and the sole creator of that sub-genre(he coined the term at least).

Anyway... check these guys out.

First up, I'm not a fan but you can't mention horrorcore without suggesting these guys, like them or not. This is Twiztid;

Next of course you have Tech N9ne, who is heavily influenced by both gangster and horrorcore rap. Oh, and lyrically, this guy is ****ing insane. Love his flow to.

This next guy refers to himself as a gangster rapper but I find him to be extremely graphic for a gangster rapper and also incredibly intelligent when it comes to wordplay and metaphors. It is, of course, the mother molester himself, Celph Titled (also look for anyone from AOTP, demigodz etc including apathy).

Next up is a less known artist(even for underground heads) this guy is 100% horrocore and goes by the name Grewsum. This track is called "reanimate" and is all about him bringing a dead women back to life to be his perfect wife(as you may have guessed due to the title) it's from his album "Donnie Darkflow 2.0"

This next guy, again, isn't very well known, but again he is 100% horrorcore. This track is from a mixtape called "The house" in this mixtape/ep their is six tracks, each track is describing a different room in his house, the kitchen, the attic, the basement etc and all the messed up stuff that goes on in the house (murder, rape, torture etc).

This is another track of his called "The Child" which is about a child who is being abused.

If you like Lo Key and Grewsum look for Madd Maxxx as well.

Next up is RA, so ****ing dope. He's not really horrorcore but he's not really any genre, he's just rap.

Now, saving the best for last. This group is in my opinion the strongest group of lyricists(overall) right now or at any point in rap history.

Even demented in dreams on the edge of resting in peace,
knives ropes, pills, euthanasia vending machines,
heroine fiends strapped to a bed of syringes,
one way acid trips when you're sent to this medicine clinic/
Kept in padded cells and metal cages, mental patients,
shock therapy high voltage dental braces/
At nighttime I scream myself to sleep,
scared of the crippled man crawling that no one else can see/
A weeping widow, eyes black and miserable,
an old lady sits searching for the future in a shattered crystal ball/
Locked away where crazed doctors don't wait to operate,
I hear voices in the room telling me that I'm not insane/