Music Banter - View Single Post - DiSTANToblivion - Songs and Poems
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSTANToblivion View Post
This one is very personal... umm... I wasn't going to post it. Just wrote it now because I'm not feeling the best. So... here it is

Past, Present, Future

- VERSE 1 -
Make this go on forever,
never tell me it’s over
In this timely comfort
In this timely moment
Happiness burns brightest,
and brighter still

Leave the flame alight,
and never let it fade…

- PRE-CHORUS -
But oh no…
I cannot stay
Although I will not leave,
this has to end…I know
I know…

- BRIDGE -
Now I know…
I cannot stay
Although I must now leave,
it wont end
I know
I know…

- CHORUS 2 - (x3)
This time…
Best moments of my life,
and the music plays once again (I hear it forever)
This song sounds very much like an expression of current sadness that life (and involvement with someone you love) is ephemeral, DiSTANToblivion. I noticed the contrast between descriptions of the event that has to end yet also won't end...do you mean that in the memory the event will linger? And that no matter how much we love a moment...we can try to stay, we won't leave intentionally...we will still lose that moment, that person?

Since you talk about the "best moments of my life," I am reminded of Bryan Adams' song, "Summer of 69," which is one of my favorite songs that describes nostalgia for the past:

One issue I've thought about, while reading your lyrics, is that often you seem to write about your feelings in general terms, rather then describing the details of the events that trigger your feelings. Sometimes I miss the events, the people, who cause the feelings you experience.

When I hear more concrete bits of a *story* I can imagine the story, and this triggers the feelings in me, whereas reading about how the feelings feel directly causes sympathy and understanding but doesn't necessarily trigger the experience of the same feelings.

So, for example, in "Summer of 69" the image of the girl on her mama's porch sticks in my mind, inspiring my imagination, and I feel the longing, the yearning, the nostalgia. If Bryan Adams simply said, "I feel longing, yearning, nostalgia for her" I would understand, but I wouldn't feel those feelings. When I hear the details of what he did with this girl, *then* I start to sink into his moment, feel it as if I were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSTANToblivion View Post
You're moving so fast,
the world loses its focus
An image
An icon
as the colour fades
One less soul, in a soulless love
An unused heart
is starting to break

A part of the plan,
laid out for you
To move on, to move on
Now the image sets upon
one more soul

(something I just couldn't finish...)
"An unused heart is starting to break"--this line struck me the most with its sadness. I once wrote a line, "My love has gone to seed," that a friend interpreted as very sad, because he felt it meant someone who had a great capacity to love but never found someone on which to lavish it. Your line gives me that same feeling.

Your partial song sounds like it is describing someone ripping himself, or being pulled, slowly away from something he feels he can't have in life.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote