Music Banter - View Single Post - Two old bastards reassess the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

I don't understand your criticism of Frusciante on this album. You say his style is over-the-top and it sounds like classic rock, yet his only classic rock influence is Hendrix (at this time) and his sound is more melodic and subdued than your preferred album, Mother's Milk. On BSSM his focus is his high-end interplay with Flea's bass and a few somewhat forced guitar solos, while on Mother's Milk it was heavy and riff laden. His playing is far more overbearing on Mother's Milk.

'If You Have to Ask' and 'Funky Monks' bring plenty of funk to the table, even if they are at a somewhat slower pace. They were nearly 30 years old by this point after all. If Kiedis and Flea are what attract you to the band then I see no reason why you shouldn't like those tracks.

We have talked about 'Breaking the Girl' plenty before and you know how I feel about that one (I agree with you and it should have been replaced by 'Soul to Squeeze' at the very least).

'Suck My Kiss' is a classic and most certainly would stand out on any of their previous releases, just as it did here. It would have fit in great on Uplift Mofo. I especially like Chad Smith's playing on that song.

I think 'I Could Have Lied' is alright and love the guitar solos. Sure, it is too slow and prodding but I see nothing wrong with Frusciante getting more attention in a song. Lord knows Flea gets his share.

'Mellowship Slinky in B Major' is one of my favorites and just has such an awesome groove. Kiedis's "singing" on that song is indeed a little grating.

'Righteous and the Wicked' is far from filler and like just about every other song on the CD, Frusciante and Flea jam so well together.

Agreed on 'Give It Away' and 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'.

As overplayed as it is, I still agree with this statement (whether it was sarcasm or not):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
under the bridge is a good song. everybody knows it is a good song. anybody who denies the incontrovertible fact that it is a good song is a liar who ought to be banned from listening to music for all eternity.
Then you have four songs in a row that I honestly can never remember the sequence, but they are all fine songs. Frusciante is great on 'The Greeting Song'.

What song doesn't have a great Flea bass line? And how is Frusciante's playing anything but perfectly complimenting Flea? Sure, Kiedis decides he can sing on this album (which sucks) and there is a little too much sappy guitar soloing along with a crappy ballad, but Chad Smith is grooving along and the two guitars are at near perfection.

I don't know if you ever had a chance to hear the b-sides so here is my favorite:

Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote