Music Banter - View Single Post - Two old bastards reassess the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I don't understand your criticism of Frusciante on this album. You say his style is over-the-top and it sounds like classic rock, yet his only classic rock influence is Hendrix (at this time) and his sound is more melodic and subdued than your preferred album, Mother's Milk. On BSSM his focus is his high-end interplay with Flea's bass and a few somewhat forced guitar solos, while on Mother's Milk it was heavy and riff laden. His playing is far more overbearing on Mother's Milk.
I think you and I just have very different perspectives on what constitutes overbearing guitar. "More melodic and subdued" is exactly what I don't like about Frusciante's playing on BSSM and why I find it very classic rock-ish and wanky. His playing on Mother's Milk is far from my favorite thing about the album but I certainly prefer the heavy, more high-energy style to what he was doing on BSSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
'If You Have to Ask' and 'Funky Monks' bring plenty of funk to the table, even if they are at a somewhat slower pace. They were nearly 30 years old by this point after all.
You realize I'm 33, right?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote