Music Banter - View Single Post - Miami and new York punk/hardcore scene
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
To clarify: I'm not being an elitist. I don't like NYHC enough to even consider being a genre snob about it, and although I do like it purely for nostalgic purposes, there's none in my collection. It's just that that's what hardcore is: 90's crossover of metal and punk created and perfected in NYC , and well I'll give Boston the credit they deserve as well. everything else is just, well...very poorly named.
I wouldn't consider myself a snob but the NY scene was mainly the 80's with Agnostic Front, Crumbsuckers, Leeway and Ludichrist leading the way whilst other bands emerged on the scene in other parts of the U.S such as Corrosion Of Conformity ( early stuff only) and D.R.I.

Some of these bands were lumped in with Thrash but that's only because they emerged at the same time as Thrash was making it big but they had far more in common with Punk than Metal and then merged to a certain degree into the metal scene either by being labelled with a Crossover tag or assimilating a metal sound.

D.R.I's Crossover is probably THE album that encapsulates this but this is hardly Metal or Punk but both.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote