Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #65 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Is a Computer an Instrument?

Yes, a computer is an instrument. (Personally I would make a distinction, I would consider it a machine if it was programmed and all you do hit the play button, but if you control the music being produce during a live performance, a good exmple is Kraftwerk, then I would consider it truely an instrument.) Actually there is no disction made eg a Musical Box is a instrument, even though it is machine, a mechanical device that produces music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go!Love View Post
Now, I don't play any "real" instruments. However, I do have software that allows me to create my own, original music and make it sound like a lot of different instruments. If I were to ever publish any music, I would never claim myself a musician, nor would I bother pretending that I had any actual skill in the field.

It sounds funny to answer somebody who asks what instrument you play with: "My computer." But, the question lies with everyone. Would you consider the computer, an instrument?
Then consider yourself a composer, if you don't feel that you are a musician because you use your computer to create music. There were plenty of composers who wrote music for instruments that they haven't actually played.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote