Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Willy Nelson a really good guitarist ?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Daktari
Music Addict

Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia

Hi there,

Thanks for your opinions so far and also for the links. As I mentioned though, I have been listening to Willie for years, I even play "Blue Eyes Crying inthe Rain" if I get asked for a Willie song so all those examples posted I am familiar with already. I've even seen the guy playing live.

I guess it's down to personal taste. I love listening to and also performing and writing music. I know that a lot of music is not instant and takes a while to grow on you. It's just in Willie's case, After about 30 years, I'm still undecided.

Even when I saw him playing live, the other musician's were struggling at times to follow him, his timing seemed weird and they did follow him because they were good musicians. I love his guitar playing most of the time, it does have a strong Spanish influence but quite often he gets real quirky with it.

By the way, to say that Willie is the only good guitarist in country music is missing out guys like Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson and loads of others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing Willie Nelson, I'm just wondering if anyone else has a problem getting used to his quirky guitar style,(and singing I guess at times).

Cheers, Gordon.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote