Music Banter - View Single Post - Better explanation of a bagpipe?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jkman
Groupie

Question Better explanation of a bagpipe?

So I got a practice chanter because I want to learn how to play bagpipes. I am a senior in high school and have been in music since 5th grade. So I have a good understanding of music already. The thing I don't understand is the tuning basics of the bagpipes. Like, I play trumpet and french horn. Trumpet is keyed in Bb while horn is in F. I can play chromatics and scales in different keys on both.

But with bagpipes, is there only one key? If so what is it? I mean, its range is octave Gs. Can you play chromatics on it? I've also looked at some fingering charts but I can't link it so if you know the notes you could follow me:
If you look at the fingering for C natural, it's the first 5 holes covered, open the 6th, cover 7th, open on 8th. Now, wouldn't you still just be playing C#? Because as long as the 6th is open, it doesn't matter if the 7th is covered right? At least that's how my chanter is working. If I played a C#, then covered the 7th hole, I would still be playing a c#. The note doesn't change. But that's just an issue I was having and confused about.

Sorry this post is so long I'm just so confused about how the notes work.
Jkman is offline   Reply With Quote