Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #1207 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Yeah, I think I'll leave the next trade 'til sometime next week. Can't really be bothered drumming up any interest in it now, so I may as well wait 'til later.

I've listened to both my albums, so here's one of them (courtesy of AwwSugar)...

Imogen Heao - Speak For Yourself

Imogen Heap's an artist I've only discovered fairly recently, as in within the last few months or something. The first I ever heard of her was in Gavin B's rather vast journal. The second time I came across her was on this fairly immense 10-track 4ad compilation - this song here to be precise. Anyway, I loved that song (it remains my favourite of her's to this day), so it was then I started thinking about having a look for an album or two. Which one that was to be would take some thinking about, or enough so that it all took a place on the back burner for a while.

That's until I was offered this album as per the trade. I was actually really looking forward to hearing it then (kinda makes me wonder why it took this long to review it), so I went into this expecting something pretty cool. I'll tell you what I came out with just after a word or two about Heap's sound for those not in the loop. I guess you could stick a lazy indie/alternative pop label on her, but it doesn't really do this music justice. Overall, from what I've heard, Imogen Heap incorporates a mix of repetitive electronic beats, mazy studio treatments, pop melodies, acoustic polyrhythms and...well, it'd be better if you just looked up a video or two on youtube. Hopefully that gives you some idea what to expect of her then. She's clearly a very intelligent and fairly forward-thinking songwriter. Her accent's hot as too.

Anyway, this album. It does leave me wanting to hear more of her work, and I'm very grateful to Sugar for giving me the push I needed to listen to her back-catalogue. There are some very impressive and memorable songs to be heard here (the opening salvo of Headlock and Goodnight & Go in particular), and the production methods certainly do render a very clean sound perfectly suited to this kind of music. In some areas the album does sound a little hackneyed to me - Just For Now's a bit too syrupy for my liking, and I Am In Love With You coems across as a bit of a dud to me.

An impressive enough album though, so thanks a bundle Sugar. If you can recommend anywhere to go next with her discography, be my guest as I'd love to listen to more of this lady's stuff.

Anyway, cheers Second review coming soon.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote