Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Easter Still Relevant?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Personally for Christianity I believe it is, but it's become so over-marketed etc that it has lost it's meaning. If you don't celebrate Jesus rising from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion then why is it relevant to others?

It's always bothered me really, and I'd like to hear what others think on the matter. Feel free to give me a good reason why non-Christians/Catholics etc should celebrate it too?
O wow. I know this idea gets bounced around for Christmas every year - but I didn't realize Christians felt the same spiteful possessiveness about Easter as well. Anyway, I don't have a good reason and I don't even really notice or acknowledge it so I'm one less of the "others" who you need to worry about feeling that Easter is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Like most holidays, it can be summed up in two words: family tradition.
Of course. Same answer as for Christmas and everybody knows this already. Jeez..

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
i suppose this depends on your religious persuasion. though by and large, even christians seem to be interested in a giant candy-gifting bunny than zombie christ...
Haha - that is one positive aspect of Easter. I always get a laugh when I think of it as zombie worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CAVEMAN View Post
better question: is christianity still relevant?
That is a better question that also always comes up around Christmas and Easter. I say no and, as religions go, Christianity is a particularly bad one. It's only ever been relevant to the tiny fraction of Christians who actually become or remain better, nicer people because of their religion. I suppose there are a few of those but I'm not sure that it makes up for the ways that the religion teaches people to ignore reality and compels them to believe that they are something better than the world around them rather than a part of it.