Music Banter - View Single Post - Who Do You Think Is The Best Rapper Ever?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #343 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Big L is better than 2pac, but not for the reasons you're giving.
Then why is he better? He is a better rapper ebcause he is a better lyricist. It's very ****ing simple.

Quote:
A good gangsta rapper is just as good as any other good rapper.
Lyrically, yes they can. Big L, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Big Pun and more recently Royce 5'9. All of these men are brilliant lyricists, in fact they are some of the best rappers/lyricists that have existed.

Quote:
The only time I've ever seen you concerned with topics is with gangsta rap, which you ridicule endlessly without good reason.
1. If that's the only time you've seen me concerned with topics it's because you don't know me well enough.

2. I do have good reason. Most gangster rappers sound the same. If a gangster rapper is going to display some insane lyrical ability (royce, pun, B.D kane) then you bet your ass I will respect them as a lyricist and give credit where it's due. But people like chingy, 50cent, lil wayne, the game. They are all the same, I find their music monotonous, dull and extremely dumbed down. They don't rap because of their love for the music they rap because of their love for the celebrity status. They saw what others were doing and instead of being influenced they took it a step further and blatantly just imitated their predecessors simply because they know it works and know it will increase their chances of becoming famous. Now I'm not saying their music can't be entertaining, I'm a fan of ludicrous and dre as well as a few other gangster rappers(who are lyrically below average) but I am a fan of them as entertainers, not rappers.

"Rhyme from your heart and do your business with your head" - I am a firm believer in this.

To sum it all up - "He's got to do what he's told, and let them use up his soul so the units are sold/ Why would they let the music evolve when it's easier just to fit the usual mould."

Quote:
Canibus has quite a few technical feats under his belt, but they're irrelevant because he blows. That's my example. Guru doesn't lace his rhymes with technical devices, but he's still an above average rapper.
1. Canibus sucks lyrically. Everyone thinks he's a lyricist because he uses "big words" it's a common misconception by retards and idiots that lyricism is somehow the same as using words that the average person doesn't understand. Talking about the moon and the stars and metaphysics does not make you a lyricist.

2. Guru is an above average entertainer but only an average rapper.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote