Music Banter - View Single Post - So I got a new toy...
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Strange thing I've discovered -

Forever and a day using the line 6, I struggled to get super long sustain on notes, without it either being noisy as hell or fading out.

The GT-10, for whatever reason, and I really can't explain it, helps my sustain immensely while still being quieter. Its not a sustain setting in the patches, its not a compressor, sustainer, feedbacker or any of that (The patch that brings all of it to light is a downloaded FTLOG patch that I modded the tone of. I check through and turned off the effects, theres no compressor to begin with. It just SUSTAINS!)

I can only assume that the noise gate and amp modelling in the line 6 is inferior, cutting off notes before they have chance to ring forever, but that wouldn't explain the amount of improvement I'm hearing. The other possibility is that the combination of better shielding, higher quality components, and better noise suppression after the fact, contribute to the Boss unit being much more forgiving of low level signals compressed and boosted by distortion, so patches can be run harder without tripping on the noise gate to battle the buzz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote