Music Banter - View Single Post - Which is the best of the progarchives top 50 prog albums from the 60s/70s?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
I don't understand why so many progsters dump all over Emerson, Lake and Palmer? Pretentious, self-indulgent, amazingly talented...they possessed all the benchmarks of a great prog band. IMO, Keith Emerson was the greatest talent to ever play an instrument in a rock band. According to this compiled list, ELP is the most under-rated band, ever. I voted for their contempories', KC - Larks Tongue.
I agree. The reason I like ELP is basically because Tarkus isthe first prog epic I really fell in love with. I think the reason the album by the same name is not in the list may be because the rest of the album is not that good. Songs like "Jeremy Bender" or "Are You Ready Eddie?" really decrease the overall quality of that one. Still, I find it weird they don't have anything in the top 50. What about their debut f.ex?

I see a lot of ELP hate around and people like to bring up stuff like Love Beach a lot. It's not like they're the only rock act to have some crap at the end of their discography, though. It's not like they're the only rock act out there to be pompous and pretentious. I think much of the ELP dislike stems from their sound being just less timeless than that of many of their contemporaries .. and perhaps a little hard to get into?