Music Banter - View Single Post - Steely Dan
Thread: Steely Dan
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #63 (permalink)
OctaneHugo
Goes back & does it again

couldn't find anything about bumping threads but I did see some bumps so I'll assume it's OK for the sake of organization and continuity

anywho if it were possible I would marry these men and bear their musically proficient children

they seem to be a very under appreciated and underrated band, 90% of the time people say "Who?" when I mention Dan in a discussion

earlier in this thread there was some hate on Can't Buy a Thrill and that's just INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE BRO

"Do It Again" is definitely my favorite song by these guys, the whole thing is like heaven for your ears

Palmer's songs are tolerable enough, "Dirty Work" is pretty cool and "Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)" ain't bad

I also saw little mention of Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go beyond "I haven't listened to them yet" which is a damn shame because they're right on par with everything else in the discography

pretty much there is no song by these guys I can't/won't listen to. none of them are bad.

IMO their best album is definitely Countdown to Ecstasy. "Show Biz Kids", "Your Gold Teeth" and "King of the World" are three of the best songs they ever made, love the whole sound of that album though. you can hear traces of that blues-jazz-rock thing on Can't Buy a Thrill, though most of the songs sound a lot different

my least favorite song, though, definitely "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". for as much hate as was lumped on Palmer I'm amazed this one wasn't torn apart. their worst song, though in this case "worst" means "mediocre".

Becker is definitely a massively underrated guitarist, never see him on any "Greatest Ever" lists (or even "Most Underrated" lists) even though he deserves to be there. listen to his bass lines on the initial run, and find the songs where he plays guitar - it's amazing

Fa‎gen is one of the best songwriters ever and is a fantastic keyboardist. love the voice, too.

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote