Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #324 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegangelica
So, here's my next question for all of you: why not eat humans? Under what circumstances, if any, would you murder and eat a newborn or older human
I might - just might - eat something of someone who's already dead if it's the only thing that would save me in a survival situation in a scenario like in the movie Alive. I would not kill a person and eat him or her, baby or grown up. I'm sure I wouldn't have much of a life worth living afterwards anyways. I feel I'd rather die without experiencing the regret of having killed and eaten someone in my life.

edit :

I think we're wired that way. Very few cultures practice cannibalism and we're a social species. I wrote in my last post that I think compassion for animals is in essence a byproduct of our compassion for people. I don't think most have the "amount" of byproduct you do and I think your compassion for animals and dislike for suffering in nature is atypical. Because people tend to be a lot more emotionally protective in regards to people than they are to animals, I don't think eating people and eating animals is necessarily morally comparable. From a logical point of view, there may be arguments as to why it's similar, but like you base veganism on emotions, we have them as well .. we are not meat eating machines.