Music Banter - View Single Post - Shutter Island ending *MAJOR SPOILER.*
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
1) He wanted to "blow the roof off the place." because of the lobotomising.
2) Dr may have found out his intentions and decided to forge a plan not to let him leave the island.
3) The 'real' Rachel warned him, he had hallucinations but never THAT bad. They said the lighthouse thing was all in his head, even though there was a promiscuous shot of the lighthouse right at the end
4) When he was interviewing one of the cops in his investigation, Teddy asked about the lighthouse and the cop paused ans then said it was for sewage, when he went in they claimed it was just an empty lighthouse.

I felt like lots of things pointed towards him being sane.. I had loads when I first saw it, memory has faded a bit now though.
You seem to be forgetting the entire point of the whole experiment: To make Teddy feel like he was really investigating a real incident. This would require involving certain figures in the scheme. Especially the guards, and certain other figures in the institute playing their role. If they had not been involved, they obviously would have just up and said "HEY! Get back in your cell you deranged fuck!"
You'll also notice that more towards the beginning of the movie, when Teddy is walking through the facility... people look at him knowingly. It's very easy to spot in several scenes... but you, as a first time viewer, don't notice it because you don't know the ending. Watch the movie again. You'll see things you missed.
Also, the range of ability an involved personnel can actually stick to the details is variable at best, and this is one of the reasons I liked the movie is because they stuck to the human aspect where one knows what he's "supposed to say" but can make an error. The movie uses this error to create what you're now sodomizing as an ending that only exists in your mind... because that's what makes money after the fact.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote