Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #342 (permalink)
OctaneHugo
Goes back & does it again

The Albums Most Important to Hugo, as of 8/4/10

10: Nine Inch Nails, Broken
Got me into the lovable world that is industrial music, and really blasted my musical doors wide open. I discovered this one rather late (only about 2 or 3 years ago) and it had as big an impact as any album had had on me for a long time. Also turned NIN into one of my favorite musical projects ever and hooked me on their music.

9: Judas Priest, British Steel
The music here introduced me to metal and opened my ears to the fact that there was indeed good metal. It also introduced me to Judas Priest, who are a band I adore in every aspect that is possible.

8: David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
This was my introduction to bands like Bowie and Queen, and is still one of my favorites of the genre. It still fascinates me today trying to discover all the different meanings and themes hidden in here behind some understated drum work and awesome guitar lines.

7: Yes, The Yes Album
One of the greatest prog albums ever released by one of the greatest prog bands ever, I've played the hell out of this album. I've listened to these songs an inestimable amount of times. This album opened my eyes to bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

6: Dead Kennedys, Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
The album that introduced me to true punk, and not the pop-punk that dominated the airwaves. Pretty much the reason why I love hardcore punk so much and consider it the best kind of punk (though The Clash are always welcomed to my ears).

5: The Who, Quadrophenia
This was my introduction to rock operas and, really, The Who (beyond the odd hearing of "Who Are You" on the radio). This influenced what I listened to for a very, very long time and made me discover a lot of different things from around this era.

4: The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta
The second album I ever heard by The Police, with the first being Synchronicity. This is their best outing and really encouraged me to check out all of their other stuff, much more than Synchronicity did. A tremendous blend of reggae, rock and everything else under the sun, a lot of influences are prevalent here.

3: Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
This album introduced me to rap/hip-hop/whatever else you want to group with it and had a huge effect on me. This album really caused me to not only explore this genre, but also start listening to the WORDS of songs. Before I had simply enjoyed the music and mindlessly hummed, whistled or sang along - now I wanted to dissect the meanings of all of the music I listened to and I cared what it all meant.

2: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The first album I ever purchased and the one that opened my eyes to music beyond what was playing on the radio. This was basically my gateway drug, and after I had listened to this album enough to memorize the order of the tracks I expanded my musical horizon to things that I still listen to today and still hold dear to my heart.

1: Steely Dan, Countdown to Ecstasy
In my opinion this is the pinnacle of musical achievement, and the very definition of "brilliant album". Every performer should strive to reach this level of quality in their music, and there aren't many recordings better than this one. Along with Can't Buy a Thrill, this was my introduction to what I consider one of the finest bands ever.

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote