Music Banter - View Single Post - Coen Bros.
Thread: Coen Bros.
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Considering that westerns as a genre are largely defined by taking place during a particular time period, I would say no, No Country For Old Men is not a western. For that matter, the plot doesn't particularly resemble a western either.
Are you kidding?

The mood and narrative is totally like a western, and it is set in Texas, a place where a lot of people still have a cowboy mentality, which the 3 main characters in the film all have.

I mean, Chigruh is just your traditional mysterous badass that's typical of many westerns, Tom Bell is your kind hearted sheriff trying to do right and Moss is a conflicted guy who does some questionable things in the persuit of a better life and is in way over his head.

They're modern takes on old archtypes that go back to Ford, Leone, Peckinpah and all those guys. The coens themselve cite Peckinpah as a major influence in particular.

No Country takes conventions of the western genre, puts them in a modern context and adds a more existential and nihilistic perspective and a less romanticized point of view, similar to what Peckinpah and Leone did in their own era. I think of it as a modern western (or 80s western to be more specific), in the same way that Firefly, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are furtistic sci fi westerns.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 04-08-2010 at 11:14 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote