Music Banter - View Single Post - Oh be city
Thread: Oh be city
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
When you eat healthy food and exercise, the byproduct tends to be that your weight/size/makeup heads towards and stays at its natural range. Obviously that natural range can be variable, but obesity is not a part of a natural human composition. If you're overweight, you're simply consuming more calories than you're burning. It's not debatable, nor is it nullified via some "big & proud" theory that has absolutely no bearing on the human body and how it functions.
While I agree the focus should be on healthy living, body composition is more than an ideological goal. It's an indicator in most cases.

A lot of us here live in the most obese country in the world and should know the social tendencies connected to it. It's not some debatable value system that goes into health and its benefits. It's science, observation & awareness. Eat right and exercise, and you'll be your HEALTHIEST, barring any diseases. If that's your lifestyle, you won't be morbidly obese.
You might naturally be a little thicker than the next person, but using that as an excuse for obesity is ignorant and downright dangerous.
Obviously obesity is a huge health issue and humans are not meant to be morbidly overweight. But I know people who are way healthier than me - they eat all the right foods and exercise 5 days a week and are just really healthy BUT are a little on the heavier side and if they calculated their BMI would probably be in the 'obese' range which is not right. Everybody has different body shapes/types and a lot of it has to do with genetics rather than dietary or lifestyle problems. I agree in that the "I'm big and proud" movement is dangerous in terms of dismissing health issues like obesity, but there is a lot of moral panic and incorrect data surrounding the issue.

And don't even get me started on 'childhood obesity' and the messages we send kids about body image and health.