Music Banter - View Single Post - Tips for singing..
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

i think it's really neat that you're using the net to do this.

i would say you're voice is a little "nosey". hard to be sure due to the quality of the recording, but it sounds like you might even be sitting down.

i have no technical training when it comes to singing, so i don't know if what i think about this is relevant or correct, but i don't think it will damage you, so i'll give it a shot.

to get over my nose i had to focus on the sound that my nose made and be able to vary the noises that came from my nose in all sorts of fun ways and then reproduce those sounds. i figured once i had control of my nose, i would know what it did, and then i could simply just not do that if i wanted to sing from my diaphragm. that worked quite well. you might even be able to do it in an hour. it's kinda foggy in my mind, but i think it took me about three weeks. mind you, i did have a lot of fun making lots of weird nasally sounds and was in no rush.

to start singing from my diaphragm i used low notes as a basis or root that i could reference easily. i found this the most logical route being that you can't (or at least i can't) get low notes like that from my head. then once you've targeted your root, create or find simple scales to do. perhaps start with whole tones, then divide them up more as you become more comfortable with larger gaps between pitches.

i found when i began to experiment with adding and subtracting more air from my lungs i was able to isolate the shift between nasal and guttural activity and incorporate it into my range, extending it quite notably. i must say though, that wanting a big range is quite a responsibility. the higher and lower you go from center, the more you have to learn and memorize technically. the same goes for all instruments in a way though.

you'll probably notice if you concentrate that your voice is making the muscles in parts of your jaw, neck, and maybe into your clavicle very tight. if you want to sing well, you have to ALWAYS REMEMBER that any signs of tension in your body are signs of one or more parts of your system functioning at a less-than-optimum level.

find stretches either through youtube or a how-to-sing website and learn how to loosen yourself up. i assure you that if you get into this for a week you'll be convinced you never knew what singing was before, simply by the FEELING your vocal cords give you when you sing.

and it's not yoga! it's physics!!!
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote