Music Banter - View Single Post - Better explanation of a bagpipe?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Daktari
Music Addict

Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia

Quote: "Weren't bagpipes originally for scaring away the enemy as you marched to war?"

I believe this is partly true. The combination of a bunch of angry Scots marching towards you, the stirring sound of the pipes and drums and the guys wearing kilts. If the sound of the pipes and drums didn't get them, they would stop, put down their pipes, turn around and moon the enemy in unison by lifting their kilts. I lived in Scotland for nine years and I know for a fact that there is nothing worn underneath the kilts and a long line of mooning pipers would scare me off anyway...

One of the most moving musical experiences of my life was when reaching the top of a mountain in the Trossachs, we sat down to eat our egg butties and looked down at the amazing view of the loch way down below. At this point, a pleasure boat was setting out on the loch and stood on the prow of the boat was a single piper playing 'Flower of Scotland'. The sound of the pipes drifted up to us at the top of the mountain and it was a case of the music and the view absolutely in harmony. I will never hear bagpipes sound that good ever again. A great moment....

Gordon.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote