Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #5816 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I saw the anime Paprika .. Not sure what to make of it! It was completely surreal. A team of scientists have made some thingies called DC minis (I think it was) which enables the recording of dreams. The test subjects who use them are somehow connected to a server I think and, without understanding details like how and so on, someone steals some DC minis and is able to implant dreams into those who have used them previously .. even when they are awake without the mini equipped. The result is some kind of severe dream psychosis which of course places the victims in great danger.

Things turn even worse when dreams merge and eventually become real. Or do they? The movie is quite confusing on the first sitting. One of the central characters is Paprika, but just figuring out who or what she is is a challenge. It felt like maybe I was supposed to know this character from beforehand? Either way, she seems to be an alter ego or dream personae of one of the scientists and she has some special powers. Anyways, despite being a bit hard to figure out, the movie was exciting and entertaining. I'd recommend it to anyone who think they might appreciate a surreal anime thriller and I think I need to watch it again some day.

Here's a trailer :