Music Banter - View Single Post - New Capo
Thread: New Capo
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
it's all good

i've owned both kinds. the screw kind sucks. the leather backing fell off so i had to use a tissue or go bare metal on wood. no idea where that thing is now probably in a bunch of pieces. the kyser on the other hand is in the acoustic case. it'll last a lifetime and well worth the $20. mine's black
Maybe I'll invest in one just because it'll last me longer, I don't know. Maybe I'll ask for one, or try to wait until my job starts up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Ah. "Pretty much flat" is basically a loose definition of what I said. Imagine tracing an imaginary line over your fretboard's cross section and continue until that circle reaches the other side of the fretboard. That's the fretboard radius, and depending upon make and model can range anywhere between 9" and 13".

I believe (don't quote me on this) that the Takamine knock-offs almost all follow a similar body shape to my Ibanez AEG20E so your fretboard should be somewhat thinner than a Seagull or Yamaha. That being said any number of capos should work for you and I imagine you won't have any issues with them.

A bit more about what I said about capos that use set screws -- they tend to be more temperamental because they're affected tremendously by thermal expansion. What I mean by that is that your fretboard and capo expand at different rates due to temperature gradients, which can actually result in accidentally INCREASING the load on your fretboard and risking the possibility of damaging it. Whereas a spring-loaded capo induces a (relatively speaking) constant force on the fretboard making it nearly impossible for it to send your guitar out of tune.

Sorry if I wrote a lot there but this is one part of music technology that I actually understand and understand well.
Don't apologize, I'm glad to have a lot to read about the subject.
It's important that I find a capo specific to my needs, even if the needs are only casual. I understand what you mean about the different capos, and it won't be a problem since I wouldn't consider a capo with a screw anyway. That explanation draws me even further away from the decision, though, so it did help.

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote