Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Porcupine Tree Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #212 (permalink)
Petula07
♫ Music 'n' Sun ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguy View Post
Wow! Did not expect such a good response. Thank you!
You are welcome and I hope it is what you needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I'm considering getting into Porcupine Tree. A friend of mine introduced them to me a while ago but I never really gave them much of a listen after that. I love prog and feel like I'm missing out. What would you compare them to? And what album do you recommend?
Hello, welcome! Nice to see fourth person in this thread

If you like prog (and you are probably fan of Dream Theater?) you may like Porcupine Tree and probably their newer stuff because they have in their music some metal riffs. For you as a start, I recommend albums In Absentia and Deadwing.
But mrguy is right - they are unique, they have their own sound. Although they have of course some influences - for example Pink Floyd and Opeth.
Their discography starts like art rock, psychedelic rock, than it continues and now they have completelly different sound than their first albums.
Sooo... something like my own definition... they are mixture of art rock, psychedelic rock, ambient, electronic, progressive rock with some pop elements that are later changed into metal elements I hope I am right at least little bit. It's really impossible, they don't fit to some cathegory.
First sentence on their web page about this band is "Porcupine Tree is unquestionably one of the most difficult-to-categorize and innovative bands working today." Hehe.
Here you can read more - Porcupine Tree - Official Website