Music Banter - View Single Post - Tips for singing..
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
primo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
i think it's really neat that you're using the net to do this.

i would say you're voice is a little "nosey". hard to be sure due to the quality of the recording, but it sounds like you might even be sitting down.
Seriously thanks! Before I stopped lessons I asked my teacher if my voice sounded nasally and he said no, that my voice just needed to get stronger.. But nah, I wasn't sitting down. I was standing up and something that I think i'm actually good at is projecting my voice (not so much for head voice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
to get over my nose i had to focus on the sound that my nose made and be able to vary the noises that came from my nose in all sorts of fun ways and then reproduce those sounds. i figured once i had control of my nose, i would know what it did, and then i could simply just not do that if i wanted to sing from my diaphragm. that worked quite well. you might even be able to do it in an hour. it's kinda foggy in my mind, but i think it took me about three weeks. mind you, i did have a lot of fun making lots of weird nasally sounds and was in no rush.
haha.. what would I actually be changing when I sing? Or is just singing via focusing on your nose my voice will naturally change? I don't quite get that technique.. But thanks heaps for all the advice - a lot of it makes sense (like the balance of tension between muscles and using deep scales to strengthen diaphragm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I'd say being emotionally connected to the music is very important. In my opinion it's just as (or even a bit more) important as singing correctly on a technical level. Don't force the emotion, just feel it. Get into a little groove, don't overthink it either. If your stoic or static your audience will be able to tell, if you sell what you sing your emotional honesty will come across loud and clear.

Also, if you are interested in screaming...

check out a DVD called The Zen Of Screaming (Parts 1 and 2). Some great tips and techniques in there from vocal experts. I don't use it myself but people swear by it and after watching the movie I saw some pretty big names promoting it so...
Thanks also. You have a point about the emotion and it's something I actually focus on now (trying to think about how the lyrics relate to something that's happened to me .etc.). Not so interested in screaming though... lol although checked out the trailer for that dvd lol it's amazing how versatile the voice can be!
primo is offline   Reply With Quote