Music Banter - View Single Post - Specific recording-on-laptop search for opinions.
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerlarryray View Post
Actually, I have had very good results recording with a factory laptop. The secret: Go to radio shack and get an adapter that takes two RCA plugs to a stereo mini plug like the one that fits in the microphone jack on your laptop. Radio Shack also offers an extension cord for the stero line as well which will make your life much easier.

Simply plug the RCA plugs into your amps RCA output jacks and plug the stereo plug into your line in jack on your laptop. Hook up your mic and your guitar to the amp and you are set to go.

This gets very clean results and eliminates almost all background noise.
i never would have thought of that. good idea!

i myself have used m-audio in the past and had pretty good results... on a mac. when i went to PC (i'd rather use a mac honestly, except for the price of them, their parts, and the fact that FL Studio doesn't run on them) i couldn't get the m-audio interface to work.

suffice it to say, if you have good cords and a decent mic, 4gigs of RAM and a way to adjust your buffers, you should be able to get good sound out of whatever you use.

also, generally speaking, it is not common practice to go direct from your guitar into your console. your amp will have a lot to do with your sound, and regardless of many peoples' preference of using amp modelling software, the pros (one of which i am not) swear by miking the amp. from what i understand, there's no heat in the sound without it.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote