Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you organize your music files?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #49 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
I think some of you would be astonished at how pedantic I am with regards to my music collection...
that doesn't sound pedantic at all. in fact, it sounds absurdly inefficient. you'd be much better off using tags for things like genre and year, then using a strong library-based media player like foobar for organization.

also, embedding artwork is redundant, and it only serves to increase the size of your collection. i assume you do it for the sake of your ipod - again, if you use foobar, then you can embed artwork on the fly while syncing.

or you can go balls out and flash your ipod with rockbox firmware. not only will it let you use folder.jpg for album art, but you can use your own directory structure for organization, and can do away with all 'syncing' apps. just copy files in disc mode.

tore - sounds like you're still struggling with mixed-artist albums. how do you do things now? do you dislike the idea of using "various artists" as the album artist?

since you use foobar, you can make use of further tags to keep things sorted. i have an "album type" tag which could be set to "soundtrack", "mixtape", "compilation", etc. it helps me divide all "various artist" albums into finer categories for easy sorting.