Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Movie ('cause I don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #62 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Same here. After the third viewing you almost forget the actual look of the film (which IS superb) and concentrate solely on the film and you realise how boring the film is apart from the Marv section.

Agree on The Searchers too. A good film SHOULD date well and it doesn't. Apart from that it's boring, predictable and also stars John Wayne. Give me Shane any day - far more depth of character.

For the finale:

Yep. We already have our own pissed/drugged up anti hero slacker film in Withnail & I that is far more poignant, honest, realistic and downright funny than a film that has Jeff Bridges saying 'dude' every five minutes.

There are some standout scenes (Bowling) and lines from John Goodman but I have seen it twice and have no desire to watch it again. If I want to watch a film about stoner 'dudes', give me Cheech & Chong every time.
I can't think of a film that has more universal appeal than this one. You're spot on about it being an anti-hero film, but it's one with a conscience and hilarious at that. I can understand not liking it but if you really need someone to explain it to you, you might be taking films far too seriously.

And really, you'd rather watch Cheech and Chong? I'd rather have a prostate examination than endure that crap.