Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest American Comedians
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I dunno .. at the start of it, he seems to think it's a good point that 90% of the world's species are gone. Of course they are, you don't see many trilobites crawling around on our beaches today. Still, I've never met anyone who would use that as an argument why we shouldn't worry about extinctions caused by humans in a modern world we ourselves depend on.

It seems ignorant to me because he's criticizing people being worried in a way that makes it seem like he doesn't at all understand what's worrying in the first place. He calls trying to save species arrogant meddling which of course seems so hypocritical seeing as his act is pretty arrogant.

Right after that, he says 25 species disappear each day and would even if we were not on the planet. Way to pull stuff out of your ass, old man!

If I was in the audience, I would've facepalmed so much. It's just not what I want from comedy.
Here's the key word though. This is not a lecture on ecology by a noted scientist, it's a stand up comedy bit. Carlin's schtick was being a wiseass who is kind of anti-everything. He's certainly not who I would turn to for scientific data. And as I said before that clip is not one of the better things I've seen from him.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote