Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you organize your music files?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

<- continued from last post

The red bits you might wanna change are the folders and filenames of the text files for temporary storage. You may wanna keep these text files out of the program files folders - at least Win 7 doesn't give my script the rights to create or write to text files in there. You may also wanna create the text files before you run the script. As I'm not actually a python programmer, I'm unsure if the script will create them, but it uses them if they at all exist.

After that, you need to start up foobar. Right click any file and go to "Legacy commands (unsorted) -> Configuration". There's an option for provider. Choose Python and then "option -> setting". A new screen opens. Click refresh in the bottom left, then OK to close it. In the configuration screen, also write the name of the tag the information should be written to, f.ex "genstyles".

Now, all you have to do is mark the albums you wanna tag, then right click and choose : "Legacy commands (unsorted) -> Python -> Discogs Genstyles".

All the information will be written to the tag you specified like this : "Genre; //; Style"

To split them into genre and styles tags, right click the selection, choose properties. In the bottom left corner, click tools and choose "automatically fill values". In the new window, change "source" to "other" and then write %genstyles% or whatever tag you used to save the information to .. Then in the pattern field, you write :

%genre%; //; %style%

And press okay. That's it!

EDIT : Included a picture as well!

The reason this ain't all beautiful is because when I started fiddling with this, I'd never looked at a python script before and I didn't make this with the intention of publishing it anywhere, but it should work. If it doesn't, just ask and I'm sure I can help.

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise
awesome! i'll definitely play with this over the weekend. i like your text file workaround, it will let me run through my whole collection in one go. i expect i'll have to do a lot manually, and i have quite a few releases that are not even listed on discogs, but such is life

many thanks for taking the time to put together those instructions, i really appreciate it
You're welcome! I suspect I made it look harder than it is, but since you have foobar experience already, it should be fairly easy