Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Theres a coldness to music from the 90's, and while I think a good deal of it is ****, there are a few gems I still love. And I don't mean that I turn up the radio when they come on, I mean think they have given, to the overall musical canon, a great deal of advancement, or at least a sharpened guidence.

One of those songs that should have been dead and buried is the Wallflowers 1996 masterwork One Headlight. I say this in all sincerety, there should be a bigger deal made about these folks, and as Jakob Dylan releases a new album this month, I'm inspired to dig up everything he's touched.

But this is about the song. I think too much of the 90's was too concerned with being weird, showing that were exceptional in their strife and misery, and there wasn't so much a story as there was a laundry list of transgressions that had been leveled against the singer/narrator by a faceless "her" or an indescript "world."

While Dylan here doesn't sterr away from that he surrounds these plot points with a lush metaphorical landscape of a community, where the man is alone because of an enviornmental strife, not an emotional one. Emotion is important, but it was sullied in that decade because it was overused, to tag a line, the personal became political. To some degree One Headlight is a distant cousin to Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer"

And ultimatly, its married with a bit of Outlaw/frontier country that gives it the well-worn soul of old age, of someone who's suffered truely, and knows that like with shamble on. There is no death in heartbreak, and unlike his contemporaries who assumed there was, Dylan gives you the impression that the lack of death is the most terrible thing.

Quote:
Well this place is old
It feels just like a beat up truck
I turn the engine, but the engine doesn't turn
Well it smells of cheap wine & cigarettes
This place is always such a mess
Sometimes I think I'd like to watch it burn
I'm so alone, and I feel just like somebody else
Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
But somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
I think her death it must be killin' me

Last edited by TheBig3; 04-16-2010 at 07:55 AM.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote