Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Sublime Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #163 (permalink)
Strings
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent on buddha View Post
allow me to shine the light on the fraud that sublime is. now b4 u get up in arms here me out. sublime is an amazing band with amazing talent... but most of that talent derives itself from stealing other bands lyrics. now granted maybe u can appreciate their renditions a wee more than lets say bob marley or peter tosh who actually practiced, believed, and advocated the many topics they covered in their ORIGINAL songs. but to break it down they are just that... copy cats.
I have not read through all the pages of responses of this thread, but if nobody else has said this: you bring up a very good point. They were constantly taking things from bands they liked, on top of all their covers. But I think their ability to synthesize and interpret lyrics and songs and still make them good is commendable. And I don't know how much we can say about them not appreciating or believing the things Peter Tosh or Bob Marley said. Was it because they were white? Good music is good music, and human suffering is human suffering...

Also, most everybody is a copy cat if you think about it. But when you look at Sublimes completely original songs, you can't help but admire how soulful Brad was and how talented his band was.
Strings is offline   Reply With Quote