Music Banter - View Single Post - Bigotry on the internet
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Surely everyone is getting tired of it at this point.

I swear every website I can think of enables it, Youtube especially. You can't make a video about any random thing, and somehow a racist rant figures into the conversation. When it's a video that has anything to do with another race, it's pretty much inevitable that some racist sh*t is gonna go down.

And now everyone wants to be ironic, but when you keep doing it and keep doing it it ceases to be ironic, if you say "******" a few times to get a shock, that's one thing, but when you say words like that obsessively while denying being racist, you have a f*cking problem.

Sexism is a problem too, especially on sites like JJ AM, the closedminded idiots that make up that site's viewership is mindblowing.

The internet really makes me hate people. Because that's where all masks come off, do most of the racist, ignorant, hatespewing evildoers on the internet ever say these things in the real world? F*ck no, because then they would be held accountable.

Anonymity on the internet gives pretty much anyone license to be Adolf Hitler.
Accountability and anonymity could be a factor, but what makes you say it's a factor for either showing a person's true nature or hiding it?
Who's the residential decider who determines the internet is a conduit of actual intentions?

Where some may use the internet for hiding themselves, others may use it to show themselves. Some may do a little of both. Anonymity serves all of these purposes in some way. To assume that everyone is truthful on the internet pretty much flies in the face of practically everyone's experience on the internet. Knowing that, you can't just assume that because people are hateful on the internet, they're all really that way inside. There could be a myriad of reasons behind it. Especially people trying to fit into a group or mindset because they can't relate to anyone of their own mindset in every-day life. Some people just think it's funny. Some really do share hateful beliefs. While it would be naive to think that some people aren't racially motivated a lot of times, I don't think it can properly be applied generally.

It's not a one-way street. To treat an anonymous communication medium as a tool that only hateful people use is ridiculous. What's dangerously easy is to focus on the negative experience you have with it that's only probably halfway true and none of the way provable beyond the initially offending variable itself: Perspective.

You're better off assuming they're all joking because you're assuming either way. You're only taking peoples anonymous word for it, after all.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote