Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojessicat View Post
Though I agree with you on some points -- I have to say -- education is never a waste. and today a bachelors degree is pretty darn important.

my advice would be get a degree that is useful for a career and that way you can at least be making money after graduation while you try to figure out what it is you want to do. I know there is a lot of pressure to pick the right major, but it doesn't matter that much. I think the internships you do are more important because a) you figure out a little more about what careers you do and don't like and b) you build up that resume. don't worry so much about the major -- but i'd say stick to English - its one of the most versatile majors.. but my opinion is biased 'cause I'm an English major
this is so poetic. and tragic.
Barely anything you said makes any logical sense at all.

If you get a degree that is useful for a career, that's great... but if you're only using it as an interim job until you "figure out what you want to do", then you've successfully wasted all the time you spent on the degree for that job. Simply having "experience" isn't just work experience. It's job experience that counts towards jobs that are actually related.. not just some arbitrary factoid of having been working on "stuff" for X amount of time.

Majors do kinda matter. I guess if your parents are paying for it all, you probably don't place as much importance on it because you're not actually feeling the monetary hit... most kids I know are the same way. Those are the kids who get bad grades because they didn't have to work for the chance to even get a higher education.. I know you can change your major and internships are good for feeling out the field, but you should actually keep your major in your major career field. College isn't a 4-year-taste-test. Decide, at least generally, what you want to do for the rest of your life before you commit time and money to something you don't even have an inkling of doing.

But keeping things general at first does NOT mean to major in English. lol.. that's rather absurd.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote